Search This Blog

Saturday 7 August 2010

Phrases that get my goat - part 2

1. "Smart casual" - I have just received an email confirmation for an interview for a new job. The dress code that it has been specified that I should wear is the infamous "smart casual". I'm sorry, I must have missed something along the way... Is that not an oxymoronic specification?! How can one possibly be smart and yet casual simultaneously? It's equivalent to asking someone to dress "slutty modest" or "snow beachwear". Maybe I'll just wear a tophat and dungarees and hope that ticks the boxes! I'm sure that would guaruntee me the job!

2. "I'm not being funny" - No, quite clearly you are not. I am not laughing, you have not told and amusing anecdote, so why would you prefix an exclamation with this phrase when inherently it's quite clear that what you're about to say is not funny in any way, shape or form.

3. "Many thanks, kind regards" - I blame the invention of email for this one! Does anyone in their right mind who doesn't originate from a 1960's etiquette class/is a robotic Stepford wife actually verbally utter this phrase?!

2 comments: